Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Biggest Mistakes You Can Make To Your Doll



Something here at my blog that I find super, super important is that you take good care of your doll. I have a separate FAQ page which answers a ton of doll care questions too. Today I am going to be giving some of my best advice for taking care of your dolls. I will mainly be talking about what never to do to your dolls! I hope this article helps you!

Tip #1- Never use any hair products on your doll. This goes from shampoos to conditioners. Many shampoos and conditions are other hair products say that they work on all hair types, and some even say they work with realistic wigs. Still, never use any products. Mousse, gels, and stiffening sprays are the biggest no's. Even if you have that fancy up-do in the perfect position, say no to a hair spray. They may look good at first but after you take the do out, your dolls hair will be stiff and not manageable permanently. This cannot me undone by sending her to the doll hospital unless you want to pay for a new head for your doll.

Tip #2- Detanglers are a big no. To untangle your dolls hair, use a spray bottle with plain room temperature water and soak the ends of her hair and lightly mist the rest and tangles should be gone. Detanglers have dangerous chemicals to your dolls hair that will cause your dolls hair to be greasy, oily, and prone to more tangles. Many parents and adults think that baby detanglers such as Johnson's detangler may work but it will still intensely ruin the hair.

Tip #3- Never use any hot tools on your dolls hair. They make her hair stiff and hard to work with. If you want to curl her hair, use plastic curling rods from a drugstore (never use them for yourself) or the rods from American Girl. If you have a doll that has very curly hair like My American Girl #44, you're out of luck but you can try to straighten a dolls hair like Nicki's or Kanani's by misting down her hair well and brushing out with a wig wire brush.

Tip #4- Never use any makeup or cosmetics on your doll. Believe it or not, many people use colored powders to touch up marks on their dolls faces like discolor or scratches. Powders will easily fall of the face and build up in an empty socket which will ruin your doll from the chemicals and oils. Lip glosses, balms, sticks, colors, and shines are not okay either. They will eventually build up and over power the material your doll is made of and permanently discolor her lips. Nail polishes will also discolor her nails depending on how strong the brand is. They will also ruin the skin and it will rub off. Nail polish remover is the biggest no. It will permanently make big rubs on her skin and almost look like rashes or sticking out skin.

Tip #5- Do follow the age limit for dolls. 8 years old is good but 9 might be better. Your doll is very delicate and hard to take care of if you are young. Cutting hair, applying makeup, and dipping in water are just a few of many doll incidents due to a girls young age.

Have fun with your doll and comment your most important doll rule. I'd love to hear from you!


14 comments:

  1. Hi My mother bought my 3 year old daughter an American Girl Doll for Christmas. I know she is too young and I advised her against it but she still did it. Anyway, my daughter put lip balm on her face. I tried alcohol, simple dish soap, hand soap, etc and I have not been able to get it off. Are there any products that can permanently remove the lip balm off of her face? I am going to put it away immediately after that and wait until she is 8 to play with it.
    Thanks for your guidance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am no expert by any means, but I've just successfully removed a couple of scratch marks from my daughter's McKenna with baking soda on a moist soft towel. Just rub gently with the soft cloth dipped in baking soda, but make sure to keep her eyes covered to prevent the baking soda from damaging the eye sockets. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. lighter fluid gets rid of anything! just dont overdo it or the original paint may come off but if u dap some on a cotton ball or qtip, it will come right off. works great even for nail polish or paint

      Delete
  2. I put a very little amount of petroleum jelly on my dolls lips. Is that ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. to get rid of the lip balm use a magic eraser which is like a sponge that you simply dip in water and rub on the dolls skin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you straighten Caroline Abbott's hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't. You bought a curly haired doll, now live with it! If you wanted a straight haired doll, you could've bought Julie or Kit or something. Learn how to take care of Caroline's hair and you will be fine. There's always eBay if you decide you shouldn't have bought a doll you can't care for.

      Delete
    2. I have a Caroline doll and I love her curly hair but when I took her to the hair salon in Dallas they dampened her hair with a spray bottle. Her hair was fairly straight until they re-curled it and styled it again. You could try this but I would suggest just leaving it curled. If you still have Caroline, you could definitely sell her and get good money since she is retired now.

      Delete
  5. Check out the karmin g3 clipless curling iron. It's the only hair tool that has managed to keep the curls on my head for more than 3 hours

    ReplyDelete
  6. One time when i was 9 i put eyeshadow on my doll's face, over time with me scrubing it off with baby wipes it came off. BTW i have three dolls and i did this to saige!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dd got some sort of white "scratch" looking something on Grace's foot. She was crying when I came home today from work. I called AG and they told me NOT to use Magic Eraser. Suggested the baking soda option. Couldn't really explain why not Magic Eraser. Fortunately, the baking soda paste worked!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great thoughts you got there, believe I may possibly try just some of it throughout my daily life.


    Best Detangler for Kids

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daughter pit detangler in her dills hair. Is there anyway to get it out? Is it ok to just wet the dolls whole head?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO!!!!! if you wet the whole head the skin and eyes and everything will be damaged so again NOOOOOOO

      Delete